Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 1--Summer Natural Hair Challenge

So today I did my first twist-out and I am VERY pleased with the results. Admittedly I was very nervous as I was twisting it last night. Below is the process as well as the products I used. After that, pictures of the end result follow. Enjoy! XOXO--Andrea

Products Used
  1. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment
  2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
  3. Carol's Daughter Monoi Hair mask
  4. Shea Moisture's Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk
  5. All Natural Raw Shea Butter
  6. Organic Roots Lock & Twist Gel
Procedure
  1. Wet hair, comb out, and section
  2. Mix conditioning treatment and a bowl with one capful of EVOO together.
  3. Apply mixture to each section of hair and comb conditioning mixture through hair & massage into scalp
  4. Leave conditioner in hair for 15-20 minutes (for a deep conditioner, place a plastic cap over hair and sit under dryer)
  5. Rinse the conditioner out and apply the hair mask to each section.
  6. Comb hair mask through the hair and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
  7. Rinse hair mask out.
  8. Detangle hair with wide tooth comb and section hair 
  9. Apply conditioning milk to each section and comb through
  10. Twist
  11. On each section use a small amount of twist and lock gel and Shea butter (be sure to only use a small amount to prevent product residue/buildup once dry)
  12. Allow to dry, untwist, and style
Pictures (Before, After)


2 comments:

  1. I'm transitioning.... but I am nervous about no heat because I have quite a bit of relaxed hair that hasn't grown out yet. I haven't had a relaxer since December, and I'm not tempted, but I want to take the no heat challenge, too! Suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still having a significant amount of relaxed ends makes using the flat iron (or any heat) VERY tempting. I did not do the BIG CHOP (BC) so I had straight ends while having curls as well. The main thing is to protect both textures. You will need to pay close attention to your relaxed ends while you still have them. As we know the natural hair is a lot more stronger than your relaxed hair. The line of demarcation, AKA the point where your natural and relaxer hair meet, is the weakest part of your hair. Because of this fact you have to take your time when detangling you hair and try to detangle while it is wet. Also, water is your friend in addition to some really good natural hair products or homemades to seal in moisture. Make deep conditioning a part of your weekly regimen. Finally, find yourself a go-to style. Every natural girl loves a twist-out!

      Delete